GAINS OF THE PROTESTANT TEACHINGS THAT WE ALL STILL ENJOY TODAY.
Everywhere the Protestants and their descendants went, they took with them this same teachings and they got the same results – a developed economy and an advanced and civilized society. A generally more prosperous nation.
Let’s examine some of the gains of the Protestant ethics and teaching that we all still enjoy today.
1. Industrial revolution.
2. A civilized society.
3. A developed system of economy.
4. A total detachment from superstitions and magic mentality. You work for what you want, instead of hope for miracles.
5. A closer relationship between mathematics and observation.
6. An enhanced value of scholarship and education.
7. A higher emphasis on rational systematization of governance and administration.
8. An increase in entrepreneurship.
If the modern Protestant churches must maintain her place of relevance in the society, we would need to review where we missed it. How have we diverted from the teachings of the Protestants? Of course I realized that the Protestants denominations of the world have grown and matured over the years, but maybe we should not throw away the gains of the old Protestants that brought us to our modern day civilization.
For those who are anxious and eager to regain the lost glory. For those who want to raise up a new generation of Protestants that would be capable of bringing reformations to their nations and societies. For those asking the question, where do we start? I wish to give you a list of the core teachings of the early Protestants:
1. They taught about the equality of all before God. Every person is equally valuable, either behind the pulpit or as a laborer in the construction site. We all are carriers of God and his image. We can all contribute.
2. They emphasized the dignity of labor.
3. They emphasized the principle of Justice and equality in the distribution of wealth. They strongly believed in the fact that he that does not work should not eat.
4. They believed that the principles of the kingdom virtues, values and morals of the Bible must not remain just in the church, they must be a part of the structure and the building blocks of the society.
5. The Protestants taught that the law comes from Zion and that righteousness must be at the basis of the nation, government and society in general.
To be continued tomorrow…
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CHURCH AND NATION
By Pastor Sunday Adelaja.