THE GET RICH QUICK MENTALITY
I believe that for Nigeria and other third world countries to truly become developed, we must change the culture and attitude of our people towards work.
In my observations, I see that the culture that is prevalent right now in Nigeria and indeed Africa is the culture of GET RICH QUICK. That is why most young people are dreaming of becoming politicians so as to get rich quick.
They say it’s their turn to eat the national cake. People no longer want to work hard to become successful. Everyone wants to get to the top by hook or by crook. The average Nigerian youth wants to fight his way to the national assembly, not because he has anything good to offer the nation but because he wants to get rich quick by looting the nation’s treasury.
The same goes for those who are internet fraudsters, drug dealers and con men/women known as “419”. They all want to get rich quick. Many people fall for pyramid schemes such as MMM and many others because they want to get rich quick.
“The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Work is the key to success, and hard work can help you accomplish anything.” ― Vince Lombardi
What the culture of get rich quick does to our people is:
- Young men only wish to do prestigious work.
- Our young people look for quick answers and solutions.
- People want to get something for nothing.
- They look down at people who are engaged in manual labour.
- Fraudulent money schemes are prevalent in the society
- Armed robbery, theft becomes the order of the day.
- People don’t believe that hard work is worth it.
- People begin to think that there is no natural process to success, hence the fraudulently rich (swindlers, drug pushers, 419 scammers etc.) begin to become respected in the society
- People forget that they have to create their wealth in their nation. They rather think they must be given.
- The escapist mentality becomes prevalent, giving birth to the syndrome of economic refugees.
“The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; but the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.” Proverbs 13:4
To be continued Tomorrow, don’t miss it.
Excerpts from the Book “Why You Urgently Need To Become A Workaholic”. #DSABOOKS
This book can be found on dsabooksplanet.com and Amazon.com
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CHURCH AND NATION
By Pastor Sunday Adelaja.